The Oslo Region alliance was established on 1 January 2005 and consists of 67 local authorities, including the City of Oslo, Viken and Innlandet counties and the municipalities surrounding Oslo. The Oslo region has about 2.2 million inhabitants.
The alliance is a collaborative, political membership organisation. The overall goal is to strengthen the Oslo region as a competitive and sustainable region in Europe. This regional political collaboration is a response to increasing pressure for growth in a national perspective, as well as increased competition from ever-stronger European cities and regions.
Strategy for achieving the overall goal
- Direct efforts to profile and market the Oslo region internationally.
- Efforts to positively influence various factors that make the Oslo region more competitive and sustainable.
- Joint profiling through Oslo Brand Toolbox based on the The Oslo Region Brand Management Strategy
- Competence, innovation and competitiveness. See the latest international review of Oslo’s comparative performance: Oslo: State Of The City 2017
- Spatial development, transport and communications. See the coordinated area and transport strategy for the Oslo region (in Norwegian): Samordnet areal- og transportstrategi for OSLOREGIONEN 2016
- Climate policies
The Council is the highest political body of Oslo Region alliance, and is made up of the mayors of the municipalities and counties in the region, as well as the governing mayor of the City of Oslo.
The Board is the executive body of the Oslo Region and has a total of 18 members. The Board’s membership is a representative selection of the region’s municipal mayors, the mayors of Akershus and Buskerud and vice mayor of Østfold counties, as well as the governing mayor of the City of Oslo, who is the Board’s current chairman.
The Secretariat serves the Oslo Region’s political bodies and is responsible for overall coordination of the administrative work of the alliance. The alliance has a liaison group and technical groups with members from the region’s municipal and county administrations.
Tel: 926 62 986
Eva Næss Karlsen
Tel: 900 63 086